Coronavirus live updates: Quebec reports 55 new cases, no deaths in past 24 hours

Coronavirus live updates: Quebec reports 55 new cases, no deaths in past 24 hours

Coronavirus live updates: Quebec reports 55 new cases, no deaths in past 24 hours

Quebec is reporting the fewest new COVID-19 cases since June 24.

Author of the article:

Linda Gyulai  •  Montreal Gazette

Publishing date:

Aug 17, 2020  •   •  3 minute read

A man wears a face mask and shield on the streets of Montreal Aug. 12, 2020.
A man wears a face mask and shield on the streets of Montreal Aug. 12, 2020. Allen McInnis / Montreal Gazette

Article content

This post was updated throughout the day on Monday, Aug. 17.

Questions/comments:lgyulai@postmedia.com


Top updates

  • Constitutional lawyer Julius Grey plans legal challenge to Quebec back-to-classroom order
  • N.B. doctor blamed for COVID-19 outbreak charged under provincial Emergency Measures Act: lawyer
  • 198 new cases in Canada
  • 4.8 million Canadians tested for COVID-19 so far
  • Quebec government to inject $20 million into education system
  • Quebec reports 55 new COVID-19 cases
  • Canada Revenue Agency begins restoring certain online services following cyberattacks
  • Montreal renews state of emergency on the island
  • Man ends outdoor protest in front of National Assembly

3:45 p.m.

Outdoor protester leaves his cage

A 43-year-old man who slept in a makeshift cage on the front lawn of the National Assembly to protest the fact that he has to live in a long-term care residence, or CHSLD, is going home. Jonathan Marchand spent five nights sleeping in a tent that he transformed into a cage. He didn’t get his meeting with Premier François Legault, but he did get an agreement from the government to set up a committee to study his idea of creating a personal assistance program that would enable handicapped people to live at home and manage their own support services.

More here on Marchand’s protest.


1:45 p.m.

Montreal renews state of emergency decree on the island

Montreal’s city executive committee has renewed the state of emergency for the island of Montreal for another five-day period. The executive committee first used its power under Quebec’s Civil Protection Act to declare a state of emergency on March 27. The state of emergency, renewed every five days, gives Montreal city hall exceptional powers to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, such as ordering equipment, mobilizing resources and asking the police to issue tickets to those who don’t respect social distancing.

Consult the list of actions taken by Montreal to respond to the pandemic here.

Consult the Civil Protection Act here.


12:30 p.m.

CRA restores partial online service following cyberattacks

The Canada Revenue Agency now says it has restored My Business Account but has not yet restored My Account following cyberattacks that targeted 5,500 accounts and forced the agency to shut down all online services on the weekend. The shutdown means anyone planning to apply for emergency COVID-19 benefits, such as the Canada Emergency Response Benefit or the Canada Emergency Student Benefit, are unable to do so until further notice. An agency spokesperson says service could be restored on Wednesday.


11:15 a.m.

55 new cases in Quebec

Santé Québec reports no deaths in past 24 hours, however it has added one death that occurred between Aug. 10 and Aug. 15. The province has 55 new cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of infections to 61,206.

Article content continued

Check here for the Quebec update.


10:45 a.m.

Roberge announces $20 million for education system

Quebec Education Minister Jean-François Roberge has just announced $20 million will be invested to hire education specialists, teachers, tutors and other personnel and help elementary and high school students catch up on learning in wake of COVID-19.

Watch Roberge’s press conference here.


10:20 a.m.

Testing numbers for Canada

To date, 4,778,360 people across Canada have been tested for COVID-19, Canada’s chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, reports in a tweet this morning. Over the past week, an average of 43,018 people in the country have been testeddaily, with 0.9% of them testing positive. 


9:50 a.m.

198 new cases in Canada

Daily COVID-19 update for Canada: 198 new cases as of Sunday evening. Quebec, which until now accounted for more than half of the total number of cases in the country, is now at half.

Check here for the daily update.


9:30 a.m.

N.B. doctor facing charge in COVID-19 outbreak, his lawyer says

A New Brunswick doctor blamed for a COVID-19 outbreak after he returned to work follow a trip to Quebec in May has been charged under New Brunswick’s Emergency Measures Act, his lawyer told CBC on Sunday.

Read the CBC story here.


8:55 a.m.

Lawsuit to be filed against Quebec back-to-classroom order

Montreal constitutional lawyer Julius Grey says he plans to file a lawsuit in Quebec Superior Court this week or early next week, challenging the government’s obligation for children to return to the classroom when schools reopen for the academic year.

Read our full story here.

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.


8:30 a.m.

Subscribe to our nightly newsletter

Stay informed with our daily email newsletter focused on local coronavirus coverage and other essential news, delivered directly to your email inbox by 7 p.m. on weekdays.

You can sign up here.

lgyulai@postmedia.com

Read More

LEAVE A COMMENT

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *